Saturday, January 21, 2006

Memorizing Scripture to Fight Temptation

On Sunday the sermon is from Matthew 4 on the temptation of Jesus. We are going to see that Christ's tool in fighting off temptation was Scripture. We are going to see that for us to fight temptation successfully we need to find ourselves treasuring Christ and loving the Word of God.
In light of that, I want to encourage you to start memorizing the Word of God.
Here are some tools that are available for you:
  • The Navigator's Topical Memory System may be the most widely used plan.
  • John Piper has a great sermon on why Scripture memory is important.
  • Piper's Fighter Verse Memorization Plan is a great tool that you can buy for you or your children.
  • Sovereign Grace Ministries has a plan that is useful for kids from age 2 through adults.
  • Bible.org has a list of verses on different topics that would be great to memorize.
-------------------
Psalm 119:9-16 (ESV)
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

No comments: