Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Good News from Martin Luther

Martin Luther from his Commentary on Galatians:
Although I am a sinner by the law and under condemnation of the law, yet I despair not, yet I die not, because Christ lives, who is both my righteousness and my everlasting life. In that righteousness and life I have no sin, no fear, no sting of conscience, no care of death. I am indeed a sinner as touching this present life, and the righteousness thereof, as a child of Adam. But I have another righteousness and life, above this life, which is Christ the Son of God, who knows no sin, no death, but is righteousness and life eternal; by whom this my body, being dead and brought to dust, shall be raised up again, and delivered from the bondage of the law and sin, and shall be sanctified together with my spirit.
THAT gets to the heart of the gospel! Only in grasping the Gospel with all our being do we find true freedom to be what God has made us to be. Only in treasuring Christ above all things do we find true freedom from the fear of death and hope for our broken lives. The gospel is good news!

No comments: