Monday, January 30, 2006

Listening to the Word

If you like to LISTEN to the Bible, you can now listen to the English Standard Version online for free.

You can follow this link to go to the ESV search page to look up a portion of Scripture.
You need to set up your computer to play the audio by clicking on the options link at the top right and then choosing either "flash" or "MP3" as your audio format. (Flash worked better for me.) Once you save your preference you can search a passage and a "listen" link will appear next to the chapter title. Click that and wait a few seconds and the reading will commence.

This is helpful to me as I have returned to trying to regularly and purposefully memorize Scripture. Hearing Max McLean read the passage seems to help me -- but not as much as me reading it myself out loud over and over :-)

Also, I received my Scripture memory "Fighter Verses" from Desiring God today and I am looking forward to trying something fresh. During college I started writing verses on index cards -- and since then I have changed the version of the Bible that I read and NOT been faithful to review and add verses regularly over the years. I am excited about spending time each day purposefully memorizing Scripture -- I hope you are joining me!

If you are intereseted in the plan I am using, stop by the office sometime (call first, in case I'm "out") and I'll show you my Fighter Verses pack so you'll know what you are getting into before you fork out $12.00 for the verse pack. You may decide that you just want to get the list of verses (which you can find here) and write them on your own index cards (which is not a bad idea).

No comments: