Monday, November 21, 2005

Praying for Your Pastor

I am reading The Heart of a Servant Leader. This is a book of letters that Jack Miller, the late pastor and founder of World Harvest Mission, wrote to fellow ministers and missionaries over many years. It is very encouraging and I recommend it highly.

Today I came across this passage:
Basically I am convinced that men who do not make praying their first priority in life and ministry should not preach or pastor. As preachers they will be confusing models of a Christian man, and as shepherds they will not show willingness to die for the sheep. Their spirit will inevitably drift in the wrong direction... I do think the chief thing in effective ministry -- as a total endeavor -- is the presence of the Spirit in the man -- changing him through the gospel, breaking down our idols, and building us into the glorious image of Christ.

I need your prayers. Please pray that I will be a man of prayer and that I will be overwhelmed with the greatness of the Gospel in my own soul, so that I might be empowered to lead you to the same end, that God might be glorified in all that we do and that Christ might be treasured above all things!

No comments: