Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Room

I am preparing to preach on Matthew 5:27-30 this Sunday. This is the passage on Adultery and Lust. As I was reading, I came across this short story by Josh Harris. We all have need for repentance and forgiveness regarding our lustful hearts -- as well as sins of an infinite variety. This story reminds us of our hope.
In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in the room. There were no distinguishing features save for the one wall covered with small index-card files. They were like the ones in libraries that list titles by author or subject in alphabetical order. But these files, which stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly endlessly in either direction, had very different headings. As I drew near the wall of files, the first to catch my attention was one that read "Girls I Have Liked." I opened it and began flipping through the cards. I quickly shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the names written on each one.

And then without being told, I knew exactly where I was. This lifeless room with its small files was a crude catalog system for my life. Here were written the actions of my every moment, big and small, in a detail my memory couldn't match.... (Continue reading by clicking HERE.)

No comments: